The Trinidad & Tobago Police Credit Union was established on the 12th October 1956 at the (old) Police Headquarters, Port of Spain, with the intention that all members of the ‘force’ as it was then called, would be eligible for membership.
The Credit Union owes its existence to the inability of Police officers to obtain loans from other lending institutions because the Police Ordinance Chapter II No. 1 protected Police Officers from being sued. Out of this untenable situation the idea of the Credit Union emerged to assist Police Officers to meet their financial needs.
Thus, the Credit Union emerged to assist Police Officers to meet their financial needs. To facilitate the needs of our members, operations took place as under the stairway of the (old) Police Headquarters, also known as ‘Under the Steps’ and ‘Hole in the wall’. For the period 1956- 1969, our office was housed at this location.
With an estimated 300 members as our original membership, we have grown throughout the years with over 16,000 members on our database. Over the years we have evolved, serving both police officers and civilians alike, with steady growth, Police officers contribute to 60% of our membership base.
The supreme authority of the Credit Union lies in the hands of the members collectively at a properly constituted General meeting held annually and which gives each member present the right to vote on all matters properly brought up before the meeting. The Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Supervisory Committee, Education Committee together form the strong structural foundation of our Society.
- We commit to ensuring that all interactions with our members result in a positive and meaningful experience.
- We commit to ensuring that each member receives resolutions to issues or queries in an expeditious and timely manner.
- We commit to value each member’s time.
- We commit to ensuring that each transaction is concluded in a timely manner making every effort to minimize time consumption.
- We commit to the education of our members by ensuring that each member is well informed of our products and services by the attending clerk.
- We commit to protecting and respecting the privacy of our members by ensuring that each member’s affairs are kept in the strictest of confidence.
- We commit to protecting our members who provide feedback to us on their customer service experience.
- We commit to serving our members by ensuring that their financial needs are met.
- We commit to providing an environment of service where our members needs are addressed by a well-trained, informed, courteous and professional staff